Turkey Shuffle Recap 2015
Fifty-one riders left our gate at 10:15am on November 28th, to partake in our 5th Annual Turkey Shuffle ride. Always the Saturday following Thanksgiving, this event serves as an excuse to get away from your in-laws and on your bike for an adventure in the woods.
Photo credit to: @ewglas, @davidneiles, @jbrettd, @dgjessee @quadsworth, @nicolettilikespaghetti
Maps were handed out to riders 5 minutes prior to departure making checkpoint locations and point values unknown to prevent strategizing. This helps level the playing field. They had a 5 hour window to collect as many points as possible.
The rules are simple:
- You have 5 hours and 5 hours only
- You may go as hard or as easy as you want
- There is not set route
- Earn as many or as few points as you wish
- You must take a photo of yourself at the checkpoint as proof
- For every minute you are late, you lose 1/2 point
- Ticket are not available for purchase, you may only accumulate tickets by reaching as many locations as possible
For every point earned, riders receive a raffle ticket to put towards the prize or prizes of their choosing. As riders returned, they checked in with Andrew who reviewed images and distributed raffle tickets while the rest of the Mulberry Gap crew handled serving lunch. Warm chili, cornbread and brownies were appreciated by the hungry crowd.
Riders reviewed the prizes and thought carefully about where to distribute their tickets. Crowd favorites were a bottle of whiskey from the Chattanooga Whiskey Company along with the Snake Creek Gap Time Trial entry from Northwest Georgia Sorba and camping and cabin stays at Mulberry Gap.
Other amazing sponsors included:
- Cartecay Bike Shop - Ellijay, GA
- Bear Creek Bike Shop - Dalton, GA
- Mountain Goat Adventures - Atlanta, GA
- REI - Atlanta, GA
- Blue Ridge Brewery - Blue Ridge, GA
- Fannin Brewing Co - Blue Ridge, GA
- The Crash Pad - Chattanooga, TN
- High Point Climbing Gym - Chattanooga, TN
- Rock Creek - Chattanooga, TN
- Yoga Landing - Chattanooga, TN
- The North Face - Chattanooga, TN
- Cysco Cycles - Chattanooga, TN
- Hand Up Gloves - Chattanooga, TN
- Goodhew/Sockwell - Chattanooga, TN
To no surprise, Gordon Wadsworth and Thomas Turner ranked in the highest number of points at 23 a piece -- nearly double the average of 12 points. Our youngest rider was 9 years young and put forth an amazing effort! Micah Bray won the most prizes and after 3 days at Mulberry Gap, could hardly lift himself up to collect his goodies.
With tired legs, happy bellies, and full hearts - everyone walked away with a smile on their face. Many still giddy after enjoying a rather warm November ride in the woods.
With your help and continued support, we were able to raise $1,200.00 for our local Ellijay Mountain Bike Association. Thank you!
Until next time...
- The Mulberry Gap Crew